Wednesday, April 2, 2014

my back to school outfit - Simplicity 1805 knit top

I haven't been posting much but I have still been sewing though. I have a few projects finished I need to post and also have been working on a quilt for a wedding gift. But one other thing has been keeping me even busier - applying for college!

College, you say? Right before my oldest child was born I earned a B.A. degree in Art Education K-12. Since graduation I have been a stay at home mom and I put my teaching dreams on hold. I have loved being home but I also have been thinking of going back to school for a long time to get an additional teaching endorsement (since Art teaching is hard to find a job in). I recently decided to look into attending the nearest university (about an hour away) fall semester as a part time student. When I realized that I had time to make it into the Central Washington University for spring, I jumped at the chance to start sooner and today I started classes!

I was sooooooo tempted to go shopping for something new to wear for my first day. That back to school feeling does it to me every year even when I'm not in school. But instead I decided to wear my favorite jeans, comfy boots and just sew myself a new top. These aren't great pics, but what I had time for.


The time flew by the last two weeks since I started applying to get into CWU and I ran out of time to work on anything more than a simple top. So last night I went for fast and immediate satisfaction. Simplicity 1805 (view C) fit the bill. It only has four pieces - front, back, neckband and bottom band.

I did need to raise the shoulders a little and sew in an additional inch on both sides of the neck (which is basically taking two inches of neckline at both sides of the neck where the front meets the back). Then I took 4 inches out of the neckband so it would fit right and not hang too wide on my shoulders or too low in front. I might just try a smaller size (than the medium I made) next time.

The dolman style sleeves are very comfortable to wear. I'll definitely be making more of this one!

9 comments:

SEWN said...

congrats on getting into school! That must be so exciting. I wish you all the best. Love the new top. You look so happy!

UrbanRecyclist Micki S said...

Congratulations! So much fun to go back to school. I'd love to do that myself. That's my dream life -- a permanent student! The top you made is very cute. I love simple tops like that. I need to make more things like that myself, I was just thinking today.

Dorothy DotDot said...

Have fun! That top turned out to be really lovely especially worn with jeans an boots. Hopefully, you'll be teaching soon. I'm retired, but at times I find myself teaching writing all night long.

Patricia Hall said...

That looks so fresh and comfortable. I am amazed you knew how to make the adjustments to the fit. That would have become a wadder for me if it didn't fit....ah, need to learn more! Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

You made a great top! It is perfect for returning to school, I say! I love how you styled it, and your hair is so pretty! Best wishes with school.

Joy said...

Lovely top! Good luck on your schooling venture! It must be so different going back again for the second time around (:

Annie Case Hanks said...

Good luck! That top is pretty and it will be perfect at the start of school!

Dharma said...

Cute top! I looked up the pattern on Simplicity's site. I would have never considered it from the pattern cover. So glad I saw your version! Enjoy your classes!!

Abigail Nielsen said...

Looks so stylish! So awesome that you'll be going back to school. Hope all goes well for you.

LinkWithin

 

3 Stitch Studio | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012