Thursday, January 9, 2014

joining fabriholics anonymous

Part of my 2014 goal list is to use stash fabric. It wasn't set in stone I have to admit. In the back of my mind, I kind of told myself I'd use stash fabric unless I came across amazing fabric that I just had to have for one of my projects. I'm such a fabric addict I admit!

For example, earlier this week I went into JoAnn Fabric for craft supplies I needed for a kids church activity. Like a moth to a flame I was drawn to the clearance fabric section and without thinking put two different fabrics right into my cart. Note to self: don't even use a cart anymore so that it's much harder to buy anything!

Fortunately, I came to my senses in the checkout line when that little voice of reason finally shouted at me, "Crazy Woman! Put that fabric down! You have far too much fabric already!!!" I listened and put the fabric back. It was touch and go there for a couple of minutes though.

So today I came across a very fun sewing blog, Making Rebecca Lynne. She is hosting a fantastic 6 month stash busting challenge that I knew I HAD to join called Fabriholics Anonymous. 

Here are Rebecca Lynne's goals (which are now my goals too!):

GOALS:
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.

And here are the rules:

FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.   
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year.  Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
4) Exceptions
  • Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible.  However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
  • Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric.  Notions acceptable too.
  • Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
  • Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception - who can blame you?

I'm going to post the linky on the sidebar too as a reminder that I'm committed now. If this inspires anyone else, please go check out Rebecca Lynne's challenge!

Okay, in full disclosure here, I'm admitting that I spent $150 on January 1st at my local quilt store's amazing sale getting tons of fabric for quilt backs and little girl projects. So along with the fabric fast rules, fabric for a quilt back is permissible. But I'm thinking I'm just going 100% full on fasting from Jan 2- July 2 because I definitely don't need more fabric, I obviously already spent way to much in 2014, and I need to just sew a lot and not shop! :) Leslie

1 comment:

Dorothy DotDot said...

I totally understand doing this. I started in December not making fabric purchases and plan to continue as long as I can.

LinkWithin

 

3 Stitch Studio | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012