Monday, February 11, 2013

finished dress, New Look 6864



So here it is. My New Look 6864 dress is finally complete! A fairly simple dress like this should not have taken this long to complete for me but a few parts of the pattern and my fussy fabric didn't quite behave as nicely as I would have liked.

This is a "design your look" pattern and I chose to combine parts C, D, G, I and L. The bodice is lined, has darts in front and gathers at various points on the bodice and skirt areas, flutter sleeves, zipper in back, and the skirt hits a little below the knees.



Once the flutter sleeves were finished, I did NOT like them. The hem seemed to flip out at the edge even after ironing and the sleeve felt floppy and unattractive on my arms. So I went for a quick fix and added elastic to the bottom edge to change the look. The sleeve was already pretty short in the underarm areas so I sewed on single fold bias tape (only had pink around so I just went with it!) as a casing for the elastic.


When it was finished, I inserted 1/4" elastic and this is how the sleeves turned out. Not the style I would have originally chosen to make, but definitely an improvement over the flutter sleeves.


As for the intended V style neckline, which I loved as a design feature, it didn't work out. The dress looked so pretty from the front. For a few seconds that is, until the top facing points flipped outward. I'm not sure what I did that made this happen. Perhaps the bodice was supposed to fit more loosely or more snugly or I didn't sew the facing as perfectly as I should have. Or maybe it's the irritating fabric that gave me fits other times. Either way, as soon as I would shift my body slightly, it would do this:



Not so attractive. I solved this problem by carefully hand sewing the V closed. I'm disappointed the V feature didn't work out but I am glad I have a usable dress.


I inserted an invisible zipper and hook and eye at the top of the back rather than a regular lapped zipper.    Then after inserting the zipper and sewing up the back seam, I noticed that I had cut out two identical back panels. URGHHH! I don't know how I didn't pay close enough attention to this earlier to notice that I was going to have this pattern repeat on my backside. Sigh. This is one problem just don't have the desire to fix. Too many seams would have to be ripped out and frankly, it's wearable as it is. I'll just cross my fingers that people don't notice and mock me in public,  ha ha!


I finished the seam with a simple line of stitching 1/2" from the bottom rather than hand sewn stay stitching like the pattern recommended. I tried blind hemming with my machine but the fabric puckered frequently where the blind stitches went in so that came out and a simple hem went in.

Overall, I like how the dress came out. This is what I'll be wearing Valentine's night when I go with my kids and husband to a wedding reception. The kids will come in handy to stand behind me and hide my funky pattern tushy. :)

9 comments:

chesneykat said...

Your dress is really cute. Good save on the sleeves and the placket. And don't worry about the back--nobody will notice!

quattre said...

The dress is really nice, I like it just as it is (and nobody never ever notices nothing, she's right!)

Joy said...

This is a gorgeous dress; the fabric is really pretty. I'm not a fan of flutter sleeves (obviously many people do like them), so I like your sleeve changes.

Kathy said...

This dress is so pretty! I love sweet little details like your pink hem tape.

And P.S. I've nominated your blog for a Liebster Award. I really enjoy reading your blog and just wanted to let you know! Feel free to nominate others if you are able.
http://kathhhhhysews.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-blog-award.html

.x.Helen.x. said...

It's a shame it was a pain to sew - because it turned out great! I think it looks so cute with gathered sleeves.

Sheila said...

Pretty dress and like the changes you made. The gathered sleeves was the perfect choice and also like the scoop neckline, although you would've preferred the v-detail.

I also had that flipping out at the neckline problem with New Look 6067.

All in All a very pretty dress.

Tee said...

very pretty dress, love the changes you made.

Dorothy DotDot said...

I have nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. You may pick it up at my blog. If you are not interested, please message me in the comments.

zoeope said...

I love this dress. you make me take a second look at new look patterns. Used one ages ago when I first begin sewing, didn't like the fit and have not use one since. Very beautiful dress

LinkWithin

 

3 Stitch Studio | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012